Sunday, September 28, 2008

Webquests

This week for my class discussion post I identified webquests as a tool for open-ended learning. I have used webquests in my classroom extensively. They provide an opportunity for students to collaborate, develop critical thinking skills, and to be authentically assessed. Bernie Dodge, the creator of webquests maintains a blog http://www.webquest.org/bdodge/?s=Webquests . Although his last post on webquests was approximately 18 months ago, they remain a quality open-ended learning tool. Bernie’s post on March 30, 2007 pertains to his webquest workshop with 40 teachers. The teachers were able to use QuestGarden, a fee based webquest builder to assist them in creating webquests about the Holocaust. QuestGarden does offer a 30 day free trial. The main benefit is that QuestGarden will host your quest if you don’t have access to a server.

2 comments:

gdbear said...

About 15-20 years ago I subscribed to a magazine called Classroom Connect. It was focused on innovative uses of technology in K-12 education. They would include WebQuests, technology planning guides, E-Rate tools, and other activities. They also published a kit for an Internet Drivers License program to inform parents of the rules for student access to Internet resources, permission forms, and a test that students might be required to pass before being allowed to use Internet-based resources. I see that Amazon.com still sells several of their late 1990's, books.

I do not remember if I canceled my subscription or if it went out of business. A quick Google search for "Classroom Connect" yielded links to a Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Learning Technology Web site.

-M. Fuller said...

Could you link or list sites which provide good standards for creating webquests? I've used them in previous years and created a few but I've never had a good definition of quality.